Date | Time: 7/27/2017 2:38 PM                                                                            Meeting Called By: ASG President

Board Members                     Voting Members Present: 6/9


ASG President                                                                                                  Michael Cha                                              Present
ASG VP of Finance & Communications                                                      Amber Castaneda                                    Present
ASG VP of Student Affairs & Pluralism                                                       Vanno Kong (Van)                                  Absent (excused)
ASG Chief Justice                                                                                             Lucy Su                                                     Present
ASG Marketing & Public Relations Representative                                  Erika Lamothe                                         Present
ASG Campus Life and Events Representative                                           Xiaolin Huang (Sylvia)                           Absent (excused)
ASG Emerging Tech & Entrepreneurial Representative                          Roger St. Louis                                        Present
ASG Environmental & Social Responsibility Representative                 Joedy Morrow                                          Present
ASG External Legislative Representative                                                    Sean Stuart                                               Absent (excused)

Guests

Abby Lynn                           Campus Events Coordinator                            Faisal Jaswal                        Asst Dean of Student Programs

Honey Lieg Wiltse               CAB Student Coordinator                                 LaMeshia Reese-Taylor     Leadership Advisor

Mike Kaptik                         Dean of Student Life                                          Jahkari Aujla-Singh            Alum

Juan Esparza                        High School Programs

Proceedings

  1. Commencement
    Chair calls the BOD session to order at 2:38 P.M.

 

  1. Amend agenda
    Motion to AMEND the agenda of 7/27/17 to include the Puget Sound Energy Resolution: Joedy Morrow
    Motion Passes, unanimously.

 

  1. Amend agenda
    Motion to AMEND the agenda of 7/27/17 to add approval of the minutes: Amber Castaneda
    Motion Passes, unanimously.

 

  1. Introductions
    Introductions are made right to left (name, position, gender pronouns) including all present ASG members and guests.

 

  1. Approval of the Minutes
    Motion to APPROVE the minutes from 7/20/17: Amber Castaneda
    Motion Passes, unanimously

 

  1. Presentation on B-Building Construction:

Juan Esparza: Will occupy the building in 2020. Concerns with planning and whether the new building meet the students’ needs – Does the feedback from Camp Casey serve those that work in the building and student that receive services there? A town hall has been held and there will be another in September. Juan would like more students to be heard.

Mike Kaptik: Purpose of the consultants coming to Camp Casey was to get feedback before starting the design process. Survey sent to Camp Casey attendees will also go out to students during Fall quarter as a starting point. Also met with staff last week. Needs, wants and what we are able to afford might be different. Taking all feedback to make those hard decisions. Planning to bring in staff from other campus’ who have building similar buildings to get feedback on their experience. Design has not been completed.

Faisal Jaswal: Encouraging team to take the survey. Suggests ASG table to get feedback.

Mike Kaptik: Have considered having a student representative on the design team. Current building is 20,000 square feet and the new building there will be about 45,000 square feet, which includes a conference center and space for students to congregate. They don’t know where the building will go on campus yet and the board wants to build something innovative, more interactive, rather than just service centric.

Lucy Su: Where will the B-building service move to during construction?

Mike Kaptic: The building will be in a different location and hopes to be finished in the Spring of 2020 and hope to move over then – hoping not to run over schedule. Where student services is now is not on the master plan. It will be torn down to make for pedestrian access.

Lucy Su: We already have a survey for the Carnival and hope to keep the survey short, so would like to have another form of advertisement for the survey.

Mike Kaptic: There are ideas for the survey like fir incentives, like a raffle to advertise around campus; Table tents in dining area; Publicity in classes.

Faisal Jaswal: Would like to make the survey fun.

Honey Lieg arrives at 3pm

Mike Kaptic: Residence hall is scheduled to be complete in 2018. Getting advertisement out in the Fall quarter to begin accepting applications soon. Progress is coming along and the hope is that students will be interested in giving feedback on where the new student services will go. Possible putting in money to update the C building and a rec center. Athletic field will be completed at the end of September, creating an opportunity for weekend events, etc. Lots of discussion for opportunities for connecting athletics and a rec center for more student resources.

                        Honey Lieg: Will clubs be able to use the fields?

Mike Kaptic: Yes. Will be multi-use between sports teams, student groups, clubs and also outside rental of the field to offset costs and create jobs for students who will need to manage the fields.

  1. Executive Report

Michael Cha
No report

Amber Castaneda
No funding requests. Updating funding request form. Will provide account balances soon and working on projections.

Lucy Su
No report

Vanno Kong
Not present

  1. Representative Report
    Joedy Morrow
    No report

    Erika Lamothe
    She now has access to WordPress now in order to update the website with minutes, etc. Researching themes in order to update site.

Roger St. Louis
He is working on getting info on funds available for updating ASG devices. Everyone is set up with working devices in the meantime. New device timeline is also up in the air and waiting for going through the STF board for funding approval. New devices are not decided on.

Sean Stuart
Not present

  1. Budget Report

Amber Castaneda

1900 $204,160; 1903 $13,000; 1910 $15,000; 1984 $188,433

  1. Discussion items:

    Fall Welcome Fair
    Lucy Su: Henna pricing $80/hour, but no reviews and prices are going up. Would like to ask the Arabic Cultural Student Association to acquire henna supplies to do ourselves. Discussed balloon arch with Joedy who would like to see the arch produced with sustainable products. Decided on balloons made with sustainable materials, which are a little costly, and paper flowers.

Michael Cha: We need to start working on getting volunteers from clubs.

Honey Leig: Would like to see publicity started to encourage volunteers from clubs and programs.

Amber Castaneda: We can reach out to Jeremy Eggers to get volunteers from the sports teams.

Faisal & Abby: We will come up with a contingency plan for weather – cafeteria, side class rooms, outside, C-building.

Puget Sound Energy Letter
Joedy Morrow:  The city of Bellevue Mayor signed onto a climate collaborative, pledging to support renewable energy and to not get any power from coal by 2025. PSE is currently getting power from a coal plant and there is a hearing on July 31st where elected officials can voice their opinion and sign onto a letter to the CEO of PSE. The resolution Joedy presents to encourage ASG to sign would be encourage elected officials to step and sign the collaborative against fossil fuels. Bellevue College has signed a similar pledge, so she hopes we will sign this as soon as possible, due to the urgency of the hearing. Faisal suggests that we obtain the current BC collaborative from the VP of Admin Services and invite Amber Nicholson to the table to discuss and align with what the school has already supported.
Motion to APPROVE the signing of the Puget Sound Energy Resolution Letter by ASBC on 7/27/17: Amber Castaneda, Lucy Su
Motion Passes, 4-0-2

Roger leaves at 3:22pm

  1. Unscheduled Business:
    Honey Lieg
    Would like to request advertisement of the ASG BOD meetings as open, public meetings. Should also expresses concerns with carpooling policies for our parking lots. Students can only qualify for carpool parking is 3 students are riding in the vehicle. But there are many students that carpool with friends or family that would like to benefit from carpool parking passes, while many of the carpool parking spots remain unused often due to students having such different schedules. Public Safety is very strict about fining students that use the spots, but have to leave without their ride share partners for lunch, ect. Lucy will get in touch with Public Safety on the matter.

Abby Lynn

Looking for information on the renovation of the Student Programs office and the logistics of office displacements. Michael invites students to a meet with interior design students tomorrow at 10am on the planning. He is hoping to have plans from them by September. Faisal adds that this is more of a furniture redesign. LaMeshia would like to ensure that ASG is including affinity group that will be affected by the remodel. Honey Lieg suggests washable material to last longer. Mike Kaptik stresses that this is why we go through capital projects – to plan for sustainable replacement cycles that will likely rotate every 7-10 years.

  1. Adjournment
    Motion to ADJOURN the meeting at 3:29pm: Amber Castaneda

Motion Passes, unanimously.